Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Why Freshmen Fail in College

For most graduating high school seniors college is the chance for them to get out away from the parents and be independent. All they want to do is what they want to do, when they want to do it. It does not matter to them what they are doing as long as they do not have the oppressive parents telling them what to do and how to live. Because of this many freshmen in college have a tendency to fail or at least not do very well academically. They are too preoccupied with doing the things they could not do or were afraid to do when they lived with their parents to focus on doing school work. I am not saying all freshmen fail because they are out partying every day, but just that with the new responsibility of freedom they have it is too often abused.
A different reason why freshmen fail is that they do not realize how much work college really is and how much studying and time it takes to get good or even average grades. I know from personal experience that when I first started that I just lazily did my homework and went to class when I felt like it but I soon realized after my first few tests that I could not continue with that behavior or else I would end up just another statistic.
That is why it is very important to make sure when starting off in college that it is taken seriously and not to be taken lightly. Partying and hanging out with friends should come second and studying should not be blown off to the last day before the test. As long as there is good time management and decision making college should be relatively easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment