Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Procrastination in college

Procrastination is one of the many problems college students in particular deal with on a daily basis. They know that they have a research paper due next week that they had assigned two months prior, but do they do anything, I think not. They keep going on about their business doing whatever they want carefree of their responsibilities to their studies. They will put their work off to the very last second, then they scramble to get it done only doing a mediocre job at best. Why do they do this to themselves? Are they under the notion that procrastinating is benefiting them?
Well to be honest I do not think that there is any discernible reason why people procrastinate except that they are simply lazy bums who want to do the least work possible. I would know because I am the worst procrastinator ever! For example I had to have thirty blogs written by April 29 and I knew all year that this was going to be due but instead of doing two blogs a day and getting it done with, I put it off and now I have to write fifteen blogs in one week. I have no excuse for putting it off except that I did not want to do them. I now wish I would have done the work gradually instead of putting it all off and cramming it into a week.
This example shows the brilliant decision making that most students make in college. Scholars wonder why most percentage of freshman fail their first year in college, well there is the answer; because students are lazy and they procrastinate to the very last second causing them to fail. If they would simply do their work I would easily surmise that more students would graduate. The lesson here of course is, do not procrastinate!

No comments:

Post a Comment